Many minorities in evangelical circles are trying to express that evangelicalism is now dominated by the cultural defaults, political defaults, and social defaults of the majority culture. My experience and mentorship in predominantly African American church settings had a rich influence on me as a minister of the Gospel.
“Look for the hardest decision to make. That’s usually the right one. ” I’ll never forget hearing my dad absent-mindedly dropping that truth bomb on me on a quiet car trip. I don’t even remember the context-but I remember the deep clarity it brought me.
If we could have coffee today, I'd say, "Let's talk about gratitude. " "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you," says 1 Thessalonians 5:18. There's one little word in that verse I recently realized makes all the difference.
I read a quote just yesterday that made me smile and think. It talked about the universal phenomenon that happens on a merry-go-round. A child rides their carousel horse and every time, without fail, they will wave to their parent as they ride by. And every time, without fail, their parent waves back.
For many, a college diploma is something that we rarely think about. Maybe it's in a drawer, maybe it hangs on a wall in your office, often its taken for granted. But for the recipients of Single Parent Scholarships a college diploma opens a door to a future that many thought were out of reach for them.
If I were a silent voice inside your head helping you to build healthy relationships, you might hear me ask the question, "Do you choose healthy relationships over being right?" Now there’s an intriguing question. Can the two coexist? I would say the answer is yes and no.
A father and his daughter had a very close relationship and they spent a great deal of time in each other’s company. Then one day, the father noticed a change in his daughter’s behavior. If he suggested they go for a walk, she excused herself from going.
When I was little, one of the best times of the year was when the Sears Christmas catalog arrived. I could page through that toy section and dog ear all the possible items for my Christmas list. When I was very young, it was usually some sort of baby doll that I wanted.
"Kind words are like honey, sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. " – Proverbs 16:24 I recently posted a particularly goofy photo of my wife and my cat on Instagram. Friends and family "liked" it, a few commented on it, affirming its goofiness. It was all fine and good.
Successful companies, churches, sports teams, and marriages have more good than bad happening, but they get better because they are willing to address the issues that are not quite right. Yes, 98% of things may be going well, but that 2% needs to be addressed or it could jeopardize the other 98%.