I could sense that she wanted to flee, but something kept her feet rooted to the floor.
"I've been told for years that when I forgive myself I'll be free," she said. "But I can't do it. I've tried."
This beautiful mom and wife had been trying for years to do a job that wasn't hers to perform. She had said she was sorry. She had changed. But the burden of shame remained, and it affected the way she saw herself, her relationships, and even her faith as she sought over and over to earn God’s love.
Psalm 103:12 tells us: "As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us."
Rather than forgiving herself, that day she accepted the generous gift of God’s grace. Months later, she is still in awe of the transformation.
Perhaps you have been trying to forgive yourself. You realize you can't undo the past. You're changing. But the shame or burden remains.
Will you allow Jesus to hurl your shame as far as the east is from the west? Will you accept that He has cleansed you of all sin?
It’s time to put that burden down.
Remind yourself of these truths found in scripture:
- God desires to carry my burden. (Psalm 55:22)
- My Savior paid a dear price for my shame. (Colossians 1:13-14)
- God set me free, so today I will be free. (Galatians 5:1)
- My God sees me through His love, so I will see myself that way, too. (Psalm 103:12)
Power Verse: Galatians 5:1, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (NIV)
Suzanne Eller (Suzie) is a Proverbs 31 Ministries speaker and author. Her newest book is The Mended Heart: God’s Healing for Your Broken Places. Copyright 2014 by Suzie Eller. Reposted with permission. All rights reserved.
- Listen to Suzie's interview about forgiving on Susie Larson's Live the Promise radio show.
- The Unburdened Heart: Finding the Freedom of Forgiveness by Suzie Eller.
- NIV Real Life Devotional Bible with devos from the Proverbs 31 Ministries team, including Suzie.